Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"You say it [was my] birthday..."

That's us, The O'Neal's, on Saturday, the 12th, my birthday, and coincidentally, the day the Vanderbilt Commodores bowl hopes vanished in a 43-48 loss to Kentucky … yes, Kentucky. Well, when you turn the ball over on fumbles three times on your own end of the field, allow a blocked field goal to be returned 70+ yards for a touchdown and two 50+ yard punt returns (one for a touchdown), you really can't expect to win. The 'Dores made a valiant effort to close the gap on what was once a 41-10 ballgame, but they just ran out of time.

The last time I went to a football game on my birthday (in 2000), Al Del Greco missed an extra point and a short field goal to give the Baltimore Ravens a 23-24 win over the Tennessee Titans to end their NFL record of 12 consecutive victories to open a new stadium. I might start developing a complex.

Anyway, a good time was still had by all this weekend. Jamye came through with a black and gold birthday cake from Publix (mmmm, black icing) and Mom replicated a green chile salsa recipe from Chuy's in Austin, TX in addition to providing ham rolls, something called a Rio Grande mud cake (that my brother made off with on Sunday) and Sangria made with Macaroni Grill's chianti.

Saturday night, we ate at a place called Judge Bean's. They had just relocated to the trendy neighborhood known as the Gulch from a glorified shack near the fairgrounds, and no one, including myself, really knew what to expect, other than Texas-style barbecue, which as far as I can tell just means that it's smoked and it's not pork. The food was actually really good although the presentation left a little something to be desired. I'd recommend it if you can stomach that relocated Texan vibe. You know the one I mean: "Here's how we do it in Texas." and "Don't mess with blah blah." and "Our way is not only bigger but also better."

Now we're gonna get letters.

No comments: