Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Nashville Music Renaissance: Part Three.one

Neil Diamond: Channeling Howard Dean

What can I say? The man still has moves.
When I had obtained tickets to see Neil Diamond perform at the Gaylord Entertainment Center on October 17, Jon responded with a simple, "Please don't make me go to that." So I invited my sister to accompany me instead. She replied with an "Um, sure..." which in fact meant, "Please don't make me go to that." But I would not be dissuaded.

I mean, C'MON! How could you NOT go see the legendary Neil Diamond?? The man is a machine: four decades of entertaining, two ex-wives, four children, a couple of movies, and a countless number of hit songs encouraging karaoke singers everywhere...how could you not? Besides, the tickets were free. FREE! If nothing else, it would be a great light show, right? So, Kara and I went--we were both surprised at the number of songs that we actually recognized--and enjoyed the warm fuzzies.

Ever the crooner, Neil performed deftly in his black, rhinestone studded pants-suit, wooing the audience as his full band of 3 back-up singers, keyboard AND piano players, guitar, bass, horn section, drummer AND percussionist provided support. And yes, there was a light show. My favorite song of the evening was, of course, "Kentucky Woman." "Cherry, Cherry" was also fantastic. I think I saw dust rattled from the rafters during "Sweet Caroline." And did you know that Neil had penned The Monkees' "I'm a Believer"??

The real kicker of the show, though--proof positive that the man is still a force to be reckoned with--was during his performance of "Play Me," during which he was quickly rewarded with a black satin bra. And from what I could tell, of the C-cup varietal...so, yeah.
What can I say? The man still has moves.

No comments: