Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One Hour!

It took us one hour this morning to cover the 13 miles (!!??!!) from Bellevue to downtown Nashville with a drop off at Vanderbilt. Now, I'm no misanthrope, but if I'm going to sit in bumper to bumper traffic staring at the same people's 2004 campaign stickers, I had better see a tow truck or something in the vicinity when the traffic starts to thin out. This morning, there was no sign as to why it had taken us 45 minutes to go 5 miles. Supposedly, there was a car on fire west of us on I-40, but what would that have to do with eastbound traffic, east of the accident?

I always assume that some woman applying mascara and lipstick in her rearview mirror or some dude reading the Wall Street Journal and drinking coffee while shaving is to blame for everything.

This brings me to my main point here: Pay attention, people! You're in a metal, combustible machine hurtling across pavement at great speeds within inches of other metal, combustible machines. Take a few extra minutes to shave and put on your makeup at home. If you get fired for being late, so what! At least you're not risking life and limb while irritating me in the process.

1 comment:

wagners of rock said...

Right on. If an increasingly sleepy and pregnant woman can stay safely on the road, these people should be able to as well.
You'd think retribution would be sweet - but my Atlanta dwelling father tells me that it is not. Anyone causing an accident, esp. fatal, in GA can/will be prosecuted that day. However, it takes 4-8 hours, as the crime scene shuts the highway down whilst they investigate. sigh.
oh, well.
cheers!