Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Turkey Day Postmortem

Why do we put ourselves through this? Of all the major American holidays that call for gorging oneself (I guess that's, like, all of them), Thanksgiving is King. Fourth of July is probably a distant second because how many times have you caught yourself saying, "You know, I think I will have a second cheeseburger."

Thanksgiving has the calendar advantage: it's usually cold and you've got three to four full days to sit on the couch, watch television and eat. If it weren't for the start of the Christmas shopping season, few non-golfers would get any exercise. Of course, we'll ride this bloated wave through Christmas and then resolve to lose weight in the New Year... again.

It's not just the holidays either. As I get older, everything seems to revolve around meals.

"What did you do on vacation?"

"Well, we ate here, here, here and here."

But I digress. Jamye and I had a nice holiday at my parent's house. Yes, food was the main attraction, but the opportunity to sit back for a while and truly be thankful of the many blessings we have received since the last time we watched the Detroit Lions get beat is the thing that will linger long after the tupperware containers in our fridge have been emptied of their turkey and trimmings.

No comments: