Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Austin, TX: Days Five and Six

We were too lazy to even take a picture on Monday. With all the running around the previous four days, we opted to veg in our hotel room. We ventured out once to eat at Shady Grove where Jamye had the Hippie Chick sandwich and I tried the Airstream Chili with a side salad... OK, and some onion rings (vacation's not over yet). We then rushed back to the room to take a nap.

We roused ourselves later to surf the web, paddle about and watch the Golden Globes. When Gwyneth Paltrow (whom we do not like for various reasons... 1-1a-2-3) came out in her ghastly maternity frock to present the Cecil B. Demille Award to Anthony Hopkins I phoned in an order at the Mr. Gatti's Pizza down the road. Haven't had Mr. Gatti's since I was in high school. It was just as I remembered it. That's a good thing.

On Tuesday morning, I was up pretty early by vacation standards. I had a sitdown scheduled with Mike Rollins, the President of the Austin Chamber of Commerce, at 10 am to discuss some possible job leads, and I left Jamye behind to make our final preparations to return to Nashville that afternoon. Upon my return to the hotel, we checked out, loaded the car, made one more stop at Texadelphia for lunch (see the link below), drove to the airport, dropped off the rental car, checked our bags, boarded the plane, flew, landed, got off the plan, picked up our bags, got on a shuttle bus, got off a shuttle bus, got in our car, drove home, unloaded the car, watched TV, drank a couple of Miller Lites, unpacked (actually Jamye did that) and generally dreaded getting back to work today.

So, here we are. Back in Nashville. It snowed last night, naturally, and I vaguely recalled wearing shorts and a tee shirt the day before. I tried not to think about that as I scraped the snow from our windshield this morning while the car was warming up.

No comments: