Friday, October 21, 2005

Wiiieeeeeeeeeeee!

Dear Michelle,
When it comes to golf, you are better at the age of 16 then I will ever be. In fact, you were better than me and the guys I play with when you were getting coloring books for Christmas. You are also classier (in the light of the brouhaha at the Samsung LPGA event last week) than I remember being in 10th grade, but they say girls mature faster, right? All that to say, lets put this insufferable Michael Bamberger behind us, shall we? You're better than he'll ever be too.

As for me, I will linger on it just a little longer, and then I'm dropping it. I remember that there was a time when I wanted to be a journalist, but even in my short post-academic life I believe that the profession has changed... and not for the better. When did it become okay for reporters to become the story as was the case last weekend? Oh yeah, it was probably when they realized that there was no real money in just reporting the facts in clear and precise prose. There are book deals to be had here, folks. Could Mr. Bamberger be working on his newest title? Everybody Cheats But Me.

My mom sent me this editorial from Golfweek. I'll let this serve as my final word on the matter.

Today's Relevant Actual Culture Quote: "The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything. Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this, and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands." Oscar Wilde

No comments: