Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Migas and Me

After I dropped Jamye off for her first day of work...


... I had to go see a man about a horse in San Marcos, TX.

Except substitute cordless phone for horse and Best Buy employee for man. The San Marcos part is true though.

San Marcos is the home of the Bobcats of Texas State University, so it wasn't quite the sleepy little town I had envisioned. I know, the Best Buy should have been my first clue.

Having arrived in town a good thirty minutes before said Best Buy was to open, I decided to go rustle me up some breakfast. I landed at the Allniter Diner on the main drag leading through downtown.

I scanned the menu and quickly settled on the Migas, but there was some verbose history of the building in the menu which I assumed I would be able to find online when I got home so I just scanned it and went about reading my newspaper. Alas, I haven't found much online, and all I remember was the name A.B. Rogers (it was his building) and the year 1906. Apparently he was an undertaker, and he sold coffins and furniture out of the building where I was drinking my coffee. I did find this, but that seemed to open up a whole new can of worms (the San Marcos Springs/Aquarena Center). Neat history there. I'll have to remember to look into it more thoroughly later.

5 comments:

Loopty Lou said...

Why Best Buy in San Marcos?

Jamye, How was school....um, I mean work?

JonO said...

It was one of the only locations that had the phone we wanted... and I had nothing better to do.

Christian Crowe said...

I love the new blog style that the Texas move has brought out. I like the photos and the play by play. It's a good thing you got this blog going since now it'll be a link to your Nashville friends and family.
What kinda phone did you get Jono? Did you do a VOIP thing?

Loopty Lou said...

Hebrew? Never noticed. I know that it says "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

Oh, wait. That is the south side. I know what you are talking about... on the north side by the pond. Yeah, no. I had to look that up. Here is what I found: The decoration of the northern portion of the limestone and granite tower depicts the history of writing with the complete alphabets of the Egyptians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, Greeks, and Romans. The list of letters begin inside the east courtyard in the upper southern corner and runs from top to bottom. At the level of the ninth floor the arms of the State of Texas and The University are carved into the limestone.

sara said...

The best migas in San Marcos are at Herbert's. Just so you know next time you find yourself in that booming metropolis.